Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sweet Owen,

I just got back from the NICU to visit. It just amazes me that you are such a fighter and that we ended up with a red head when we joked about it so much before you were born. Your Dad and I have officially graduated from our residencies but I still have about 7 weeks to make up from spending time off with you (worth every minute!!!) You are still on the ventilator but a little more stable then last week. You are doing a good job working up on your feeds which are now my regular breast milk :) Dr. Watson wanted to trial some full fat feeds (which apparently I have some very fatty milk) to test the fluid draining from your chest tube to see if you really do have this chylothorax thing. I know! Very confusing, but worth the trial because you could really benefit from some good nutrition and antibodies from my breast milk! And being exposed to all of those sick kids during my residency probably really increased my immunity!

You should know that I try to do the things mommy's are supposed to do like check your temperature and change your diaper. It is not very nice when you decide to poop mid change! I can't fault you though. You peed all over your nurse and I today because we gave you lasix, the medicine that makes you pee right before I attempted to change your diaper. You soaked through 3 diapers and the sheets in the process. I am sorry baby bear. You can get me back however you need, just keep on being the strong boy you are!

Every time I come to visit I read to you so you can hear my voice and know that I am there for you. I have been getting some of the small board books (the ones with a lot of words, so I can spend more time reading to you). If anyone is wondering what to do for you, this is our thing and I could use a few more books so I don't get tired of reading the same ones over and over :)

I love you when you are doing well and I love you when we are on the roller coaster of this diaphragmatic hernia. I know in my heart that your dad and I are doing the best that anyone can do to be there for you and give you our love. Just know that it will be worth it baby bear to come home to us! I have no hesitation to say that we LOVE you more than any other baby has been loved before. I know that this will get you and our family through this rough patch to the joy that lies ahead.

Love,
Mom